Sunday, December 17, 2006

Time Makes A Tough Decision

Every year Time comes up with a list of candidates for Person of the Year. This year, they had a tough decision, but after careful consideration, they came down firmly behind their choice.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. You are Time's People of the Year.

Now, before you run off to put that on your resume, let me weigh in on this "honor." Personally, I think Time wussed out with a milquetoast pick. Think of all the people who should have been at least considered. I'll bet if you sat down with a pencil and a pad of paper, you could rattle off more than a few worthy choices. Bill Gates. Tom Tancredo. Me. (Why not? Time made Hitler Man of the Year once, and I'm a shade better than he was.)

Here's the other thing to consider. Managing Editor Richard Stengel said that if Time had had to choose one person to be Person of the Year, it would have been Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but he balked at the choice, saying, "It just felt to me a little off selecting him." Ya think? A nutjob who says Iran has a right to be a nuclear power and who denies the Holocaust ever happened was "a little off"? That's like saying Michael Moore is just a little chunky.

Time put itself between Iran and a hard place. (I would have said Iraq, but that would have been too obvious a joke.) Instead of making a decision and sticking by it, they chose a warm and fuzzy choice that would make everybody happy. Well, except for me, that is. If the alternative was President Imadinnerjacket, I'm not sure I want to have the "honor" of being one of Time's People of the Year.

1 comment:

Kass said...

Ahmadinejad seemed like a likely choice but I agree, the You thing was very much a cop-out on Stengel's part.

Can't piss George Bush or the UN off by naming him Person of the Year! God forbid Ahmadinejad thinks we've given him an honorable distinction. OH TEH NOES!