Tuesday, December 5, 2006

A Little Something Lighter

With all the serious subjects out there, I wanted to take a moment or two to lighten things up a bit. I'm not serious all the time, so why should my blog? This isn't going to revolve around a single subject like my other entries, but I'll try not to jump around too much. I just don't have that much Dramamine handy...

- You know one 80s and 90s group that I've missed in recent years? Wang Chung. Yes, "Dance Hall Days" and "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" Wang Chung. I was going through my MP3 collection and came across "To Live and Die in L. A.", a song tells a haunting story, has equally haunting music, and a great feel to it. I understand they're still touring, so they're not off the radar yet. If you can't go see them, pick up their greatest hits CD. It gives a nice cross-section of their music, from their early days to their more modern work.

- Britney Spears going out in public with no underwear? I guess K-Fed was more of a drain on her bank account than we thought.

- America puts a ban on luxury items going to North Korea. Smart move, considering Kim Jong Il can get the same stuff from China and Taiwan directly, thus cutting out the middleman, us. Besides, what really constitutes a "luxury item" in North Korea? Non-pre-chewed gum?

- "Snakes on a Plane" was a surprise hit movie, but how will they follow it up? "Rabid Wolverines on a Bus"? "Ill-Tempered Mongooses on the 7:12 Train to Newark"? "Regis and Kelly in a Prius"?

- Is it just me, or does anyone else find the media proclaiming the Iraq situation a "civil war" to be more than a little funny? These cats aren't even out in the field, but they're saying things are deterioriating to the point of violence. Armchair generals are that way for a reason: they've never seen a day of combat in their lives.

- Speaking of the media, how badly does Keith Olbermann's life suck, knowing he's playing second banana to Chris Matthews on a 3rd rated and 4th rate cable news network who occasionally gets beaten by CNN Headline News? You might want to post your resume on Monster pretty soon, Keith. Bashing Bill O'Reilly night after night just doesn't equate to entertainment.

- The best shows on TV right now are "Heroes" and "House." Both are incredibly smart, they suck you into the story, and they keep you wanting more. And most importantly, they're all on basic channels, so I don't have to give up one of my kidneys to get cable.

- "Beerfest" on DVD. Don't ask. Just buy it. You'll thank me later.

- Andy Dick just pulled a Michael Richards recently at the Improv. My sources tell me Sandra Bernhard and other Z-list comedians are on "n-word watch."

- If you're having a stressful time at work or school or around the house, indulge in a guilty pleasure. You'll feel good and recharge your batteries at the same time.

And finally...

- The New York City Board of Health has voted to ban trans fats at restaurants. Yeah, there's still murder, rape, theft, and crime of all stripes going on, but at least the bad guys won't be able to clog their arteries with post-crime fried food!

Until next time, kids!

No comments: