Saturday, November 25, 2006

Happy Re-birth Day to Me!

This weekend marks a big anniversary for me. It marks my first anniversary back at God's side after 20 years of wandering aimlessly with my faith. Without going into too much detail, I came to realize a year ago that I had let human character flaws get between my God and me, but I didn't quite know how to find my way back. At times like that, we sometimes need a good hard spiritual shake to get us to see the path clearly. (Is it just me, or does it sound like I was comparing faith to an Etch-A-Sketch?)

For me, the shake was the story of a pregnant woman and a teenage girl who tried to help her after the former was knocked down at a WalMart on the day after Thanksgiving. As the pregnant woman fell, people were stepping on or around her on their way to shop for whatever item they thought they needed. A teenage girl stepped in to try to help the woman up, but she got knocked down and trampled until others helped her. Last I knew, both were okay, but after I heard about it, I wasn't. Something about that whole situation bothered me to the point of tears. Then, a thought came to me: I needed God's help with this. After some prompting from a great group of people I met online, I finally got off my duff and went to church seeking answers to my spiritual questions.

Since then, I've found a great church with an amazing group of people with whom I am proud to associate. But it was never about meeting new people or me feeling good. I went back to church with the purpose of reconnecting with God because it was something I needed to do, and I have not regretted it since. I cannot tell you how much my life has improved since I reopened my eyes to God's grace.

As those of you who know me know, music is a big part of my life. One of the artists that "spoke" to me during my return to Christian faith is contemporary Christian artist Jeremy Camp. I highly recommend the CD I listened to as I restarted my journey with God, "Restored," because it seemed to come into my life at just the right time and helped to strengthen my resolve.

In closing (and I'm sure a good number of you are happy I'm finally wrapping up this rant), let me leave you with a simple instruction. If you have something that's hanging over your head that you don't know if you can handle yourself, talk to God in whichever denomination you feel comfortable. He's always there and He's always ready to listen. All you have to do is pray to Him to get the conversation started.

1 comment:

Syd And Vaughn said...

As you know, I was wandering as much as you. I was Catholic, and grossly upset over the pedophilia that had ripped through the church.

In short, I couldn't stand the hypocrisy and walked away. But my wife--MARCIE--brought me back when it mattered most. She taught me that my beef was with those in charge, and didn't change my heart when it came to God.

She showed me the way back. and while I'm not all the way there yet, I'm better for where I am now. I thank her for her patience and perseverance, and I thank God for not giving up on me.

Thomas