Monday, January 8, 2007

A Movie You MUST See

The concept of a "must see" movie has been out there for a number of years, usually to signify a film that is particularly well-made or has a great message. I don't pay attention to this most of the time because either the "must see" movie is one that doesn't interest me or it's usually useless hype.

But in the case of "Obsession" the concept applies. I know I'm behind the curve on this one, but I saw this documentary about the face of radical Islam and how it's infiltrated the world and it opened my eyes to a number of matters that I'd never considered before. My opinion of Islam prior to watching "Obsession" was that it was only the fringe elements that were taking part in the terrorism and anti-American sentiments. Afterwards, I'm not so sure anymore.

The thing that ultimately turned the corner for me was seeing what an allegedly moderate Muslim leader said immediately after 9/11...and what he said in front of his fellow Muslims at a conference. The leader talked about how he issued a statement after 9/11 saying murdering innocents in the pursuit of jihad was not consistent with Islam, but in front of his fellow Muslims, he said something completely different, suggesting that it was okay to kill innocents to please Allah.

And all the while, we're being played for fools.

Regardless of your opinions on the war on terrorism, make it a point to see "Obsession" if for no other reason than to see who we're up against.

No comments: